Friday, April 3, 2015

'Epilogue' - Flashback Fridays

As many of my readers know, I am a fan of Southern hip-hop. It's as much a part of my souk as soul food and Savannah, GA.

One of my favorite subgenres is Texas hip-hop. I thank my cousin for really putting me on. Granted I listened to the big names like Scarface and UGK. It was he that introduced me to Coota Bang and Lil Keke to name a few.

When I think of Texas, I think of UGK. Bun B, half of the duo, has been making great solo music before partner Pimp C was in prison and after his tragic death.

His latest album, Trill OG: The Epilogue, is another entry into an already impressive body of work.



The album is basically comprised of tracks left over from the recording sessions of the previous album, Trill OG. This album includes a plethora of features from artists including Big K.R.I.T., Lil' O, Pimp C, Rick Ross, 2 Chainz, Serani, Raekwon, Kobe, Royce da 5'9", C-Note, Big Hawk, Lil Boosie, E.S.G., Redman, Kirko Bangz, Devin the Dude, Trae tha Truth and Z-Ro.

Fire” is a fun track in the fact that it has a decidedly Jamaican influence to it. You can even hear this in Bun B’s delivery. Dancehall artist Serani lends his vocals to the hook while rappers 2 Chainz and Rick Ross offer verses that are lyrically apropos to the track. As a fan or dancehall music and the culture I love that Bun B.

Gladiator” is Bun B at his finest. It’s pure Southern, pure braggadocio. I love how he rhymes with such ferocity and fervor. It’s what you come to expect from him and I am thankful for it.

"The Legendary DJ Screw" is, for all intents and purposes, Texas hip-hip tribute to the late DJ Screw. For the unaffiliated, DJ Screw popularized not in only drinking lean (codeine based cough syrup) as well as chopped and screwed music, a staple of Texas hip-hop. The track is feature heavy with features from E.S.G., C-Note, Lil' O, Trae tha Truth, Z-Ro, and Big Hawk. A fitting tribute to a Southern legend.

While you are listening, I suggest that check out tracks like "Off Top", "Cake", and "On One".

All in all, it is another classic album from Bun B. I personally suggest playing this one loud in your car with a cup of your favorite legal (or illegal if you are feeling bold) beverage.

-written by Lucius Black for Street Thoughts/Royalty Magazine 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment